We at HE Travel are proud to have run safe gay travel tours this year to four continents. Our diverse destinations have included Peru, the Galapagos Islands, Iceland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Namibia, New Mexico & Colorado, and the Grand Canyon. Before the end of the year, we will add Italy, Greece, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, and Jordan.
Collaboration for Safe Gay Travel
How have we done it with all the restrictions around the world? We have an amazing set of partners in every country where we offer tours. We work closely together to meet the requirements of each destination and to offer safe tours for our gay and lesbian travelers and their friends.
Unique Destination Entry Requirements
Here are some general patterns that we have seen emerge. However, countries frequently adjust their requirements. Therefore, if you are planning a trip, check the International Travel section of the US State Department’s website for the latest information about your destination.
Most countries require visitors to provide evidence of one or more of the following.
Contact Tracing Registration
- Registration form for contact tracing
- Most countries have designed their own forms
- These forms show personal contact information, as well as seat numbers on flights and trains so you can be contacted in the event of exposure
- You can fill out some forms as soon as you book your flights
- You must fill out some forms shortly before travel to verify that you have no COVID-19 sypmptoms
- Negative COVID-19 test
- The most common window is 72 hours or 3 days
- Some countries waive the test for vaccinated travelers
- Most countries now require a negative test for unvaccinated travelers – if they can even enter the country
- Most locations now accept either an antigen test that offers quick results or a more comprehensive PCR / NAAT test
- All travelers to the US must show a negative test result
- This can be an antigen or PCR test taken within 3 days of travel
- Testing clinics are readily available in most cities around the world
- Proof of vaccination at least 14 days prior to travel
- All countries have a list of what vaccines they will accept
- Validity of vaccination
- Some countries only consider a vaccine valid for 360 days from the last dose
- Those who received the first vaccines will soon need boosters to meet the 360-day window
- Documentation requirements
- European countries use a standardized COVID-19 Digital Pass that can easily be shown on smartphones
- For American travelers, most countries accept the CDC White Card since there is no digital standard for vaccinations given in the US
- We highly recommend making a printed copy of your vaccination card and carrying it with you
- If you have a smartphone, you can save a copy in your phone photo library
Log into your airline website or phone app to see if you can upload your passport, vaccination, test results, etc. This can greatly speed up check-in once you are at the airport and ensure smooth and safe gay travel.
As we look ahead to 2022, we are excited to see that the US will open its doors to vaccinated travelers from around the world with negative test results. We also look forward to welcoming our Australian and Canadian friends on our safe gay travel tours as their borders reopen.
Happily, more and more people around the world are getting vaccinated and the rate of new cases is decreasing. In response, countries are gradually easing restrictions. Let’s hope that trend continues so we can all get out and explore this big, beautiful world we all live in together!